Monday, March 18, 2013

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder was nomiated for one of the 2013 Notable books for children. While shopping for books at Andersons book fair I saw this book. My initial thought was it was too young for High School as it was about a 5th grade boy. I had a few extra dollars to spend and grabbed it thinking it would be good for low level high interest. Boy was I wrong. This book is wonderful for all ages. I loved this book and couldn't put it down besides to wipe the tears away. I recommend this for everyone young and old.

Book Description
I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment